Netflix’s To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before movie star Noah Centineo says the cast and filmmakers have all discussed a sequel and want to make one. The movie, adapted from Jenny Han’s 2014 novel of the same name, hit the streaming service earlier in August and it’s received widespread acclaim from casual viewers and critics alike. Reviews for To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before have praised the teen romantic comedy for its charming storyline and compelling performances. It’s been so successful, in fact, that many fans have wondered whether Netflix will adapt Han’s second and third novels in the book series for additional entries in a film franchise.
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before introduced viewers to Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor), a high school junior and hopeless romantic whose life is turned upside down when the love letters she wrote to her five crushes get sent. One letter recipient is boy-next-door Josh Sanderson (Israel Broussard), Lara Jean’s close friend and the boyfriend of her older sister Margot (Janel Parrish). In order to avoid dealing with her feelings for Josh, Lara Jean enters into a fake relationship with another letter recipient, popular boy Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo). Peter is trying to make his ex-girlfriend – and Lara Jean’s ex-best friend – Gen (Emilija Baranac) jealous, but then things get more complicated when Lara Jean starts to develop very real feelings for her fake boyfriend. The subsequent rom-com is a sweet adaptation of Han’s novel that follows a storyline well worn by the genre, but one that has inspired plenty of devotion among fans.
With many looking to the future and wondering about the potential for a To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before sequel, one of the film’s stars has commented on it. In a interview with Variety to promote his other Netflix rom-com, Sierra Burgess is a Loser, Centineo spoke about whether To All the Boys will receive a follow-up. According to him, everyone who worked on the first film is very eager to continue telling the story of Lara Jean and Peter, but there isn’t anything specific to report just yet. He said:
All I know is that every single person involved in the making of that film wants a sequel. We’ve all talked about it in depth. I’ll do as many as they want me!
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before director Susan Johnson said in an interview with ETearlier this week that there’s still some time before Netflix will make a decision about a sequel. According to Johnson, Netflix said they’d evaluate the success of To All the Boys 28 days – or, four weeks – after its release on August 17. That means, word of a sequel won’t arrive until at least September 14. However, Johnson also offered some hope for fans when she revealed those involved with the movie are contracted for sequels, indicating Netflix left the door open for follow-ups. Johnson said:
We’re all attached contractually if we want to do the movie again, which is super exciting, and if our schedules all key up. Netflix said that their general timeframe is 28 days; they watch how well the movie does over the period of a month and once that’s over, they can make a decision about a sequel. I love the fans being vocal about it, the more, the better.
Between Johnson, Centineo and the rest of the cast and creative team all being obviously excited by the prospect of a sequel, it seems much of those involved in the first movie would return for a second. Now, whether Netflix actually green lights a sequel remains to be seen. But, considering the massive success of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, it seems like a no-brainer for Netflix to order a movie adapted from Han’s second novel, P.S. I Still Love You. So, fans may need to wait to get official word, but with everyone involved in the film on board for a sequel, it seems we may get a follow-up to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before after all.